Saturday, October 14, 2006

*sigh*

I spend almost all day reading. By late afternoon, my mind was getting tired and my mind wandered off as I began to procrastinate (not such a great thing). My eye immediately leapt to my bookshelf where I picked up a copy of one of my favorite books. It was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. May I say that if you have not had the chance to read this book, please do so. Not only does it give you lots to think about but it is beautifully written. In short, it is about a future where it is illegal for citizens to read books and teaches the people to believe that books are unhealthy for the mind. Thus, firefighters no longer work to put fires out, but instead hunt for the books that people hide and systematically burn them. The story circulates around one particular firefighter named Guy Montag. He grapples with all the ideas that the government has indoctrinated him with. Montag finally discovers the beauty of reading and the freedom it affords to human beings. Once the government discovers that he has been secretly reading and hoarding books, he is forced to run for his life into the wood where he meets up with "The Book People," a band of citizens who have escaped the city and have memorized books. I find it very interesting that Bradbury chooses to have Montag memorize Ecclesiastes and Revelations... This book really gives you so much to think about. I mean, I can't even imagine a world without books, can you? It is such a frightening thought.
p.s. I don't necessarily reccomend the 1960's film adaptation of the book. It is done in traditional 60's styles (gotta love the furniture!) However, the play version (also written by Bradbury) is very good. And hopefully the new film version which comes out in February of next year will be good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a book person! I was a book person!

If this new movie version is bad, I'm gonna be writing some serious letters.

Miss Lemon said...

I hope it is good...if not, you will not be alone in your letter writing!