Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thomas Aquinas Prayer

A Prayer for the Virtues

O Almighty and all-knowing God, without beginning or end, who art the
giver, preserver, and rewarder of all virtue:

Grant me to stand firm on the solid foundation of faith, be protected by
the invincible shield of hope, and be adorned by the nuptial garment of
charity;

Grant me by justice to obey thee, by prudence to resist the crafts of the
Devil, by temperance to hold to moderation, by fortitude to bear adversity
with patience;

Grant that the goods that I have I may share liberally with those who
have
not, and the good that I do not have I may seek with humility from those
who have;

Grant that I may truly recognize the guilt of the evil I have done, and
bear with equanimity the punishments I have deserved; that I may never
lust after the goods of my neighbor, but always give thanks to thee for
all thy good gifts.

Plant in me, O Lord, all thy virtues, that in divine matters I might be
devout, in human affairs wise, and in the proper needs of the flesh
onerous to no one.

And grant that I may never rush to do things hastily, nor balk to do
things demanding, so that I neither yearn for things too soon, nor desert
things before they are
finished.

Amen.

(sorry for not posting a lot recently, but I'll be back to posting more regularly soon)

0 comments: