Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Elementary, Dear Watson!

So, I'm not really sure how I came upon this, but earlier today I found out that director Guy Ritchie is in the process of shooting a new film adaptation of the beloved Sherlock Holmes mysteries set to release in 2009. Now, while I have absolutely no objections to Robert Downey Jr. (I deeply respect his talent and skill), or to Jude Law, but as the brilliant detective and his astute doctoral companion, I just REALLY do not think that they are adequate:


In fact, it kinda makes me very indignant. I think this is mostly because I am a purist. Yes, a purist to the written works themselves, but also to the flawless portrayal of Holmes' character by the incomparable Jeremy Brett.


Jeremy Brett (seen above with the amazing David Burke as Doctor Watson [later replaced by the equally as astounding Edward Hardwick]) is the definitive Sherlock Holmes. It seems almost superfluous to try and recreate the character of Holmes when it has been already imagined and realized so perfectly. I just feel that Downey and Law will be unable to meet the precedent Brett and Hardwick set long before....
However, as the great detective said himself, "The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession.” So perhaps I shall just have resign myself to believing that maybe it won't be as horrific as I think it is going to be.....

1 comments:

MK Reynolds said...

I agree Amanda! My family is very Holmes purist also. :) AKA: people who try to remake it sans Jeremy Brett must cease their evil ways. :)